Since President Trump imposed a tariff on solar panels imported from outside the U.S., we’ve received many questions about how this tariff might impact solar here in Arizona.
The decision to add a tariff on solar panels is somewhat mind-boggling, especially at a time when our planet so desperately needs cleaner and more sustainable energy sources. Plus, utilities continue to raise prices and find creative ways to parse energy into new billable categories.
As you ponder those undeniable truths, rest assured that Sun Valley Solar Solutions has your back. After all, solar is one of the fastest growing sector of the global energy industry–one that’s nearly 400,000 strong in the U.S. alone.
Here are five reasons why, despite the tariff, you shouldn’t hesitate to make the switch to solar:
1. We’ve been planning for this: Sun Valley Solar Solutions is part of a nation-wide buying co-op of leading solar installation firms. When we became aware late last year that the tariff was a possibility, we worked with our partners to secure enough pre-tariff panels to help ease the transition. We still have supplies of these panels available.
2. Utility rates are only going up: Utilities across the U.S. have big plans and pretty much none of them include a rate reduction. Currently, solar is the only viable way to leverage against the certainty of increasingly more expensive electricity. Demand remains strong and we don't see that letting up anytime soon.
3. As an independent dealer, we can pick our own panels: Unlike many national installers that make their own panels or are locked into exclusive distribution deals, Sun Valley Solar Solutions is free to select any panel that best addresses the needs and budgets of our customers.
4. 30 percent tax credits are still in place: In 2015, Congress voted to extend the Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) at a rate of 30 percent through 2019. The ITC incentive drops to 26 percent in 2010, and then to 22 percent in 2021 before it ends permanently for homeowners in 2022. The state of Arizona offers a flat $1,000 tax credit as well. In short, there’s no better time than now to go solar.
4. Momentum is at our back: The solar industry is an economic powerhouse. We generated $154 billion in economic activity in 2016, and employ more than 370,000 people across the U.S. alone. We have influence, manufacturing know-how, and a very bright spotlight on the world stage. Our industry will find creative ways to offset this tariff through sheer business savvy and the natural economies of scale that come with rapid growth and innovation. Solar will be here tomorrow as surely as the sun will rise.
If you’ve been thinking about making the switch to solar, now is the time to act! We invite you to contact one of our solar experts for a custom solar quote. If you aren't quite ready for a quote, you can download our complimentary whitepaper: Is Solar Right for You?